This is the time of year when most of us think and pray a lot about the year that lies ahead.
As disciples of the Lord Jesus:
- Do we just make our plans and trust that they are acceptable to the Father?
- Do we expect Him to respond to us when we ask Him?
- How do we expect Him to ‘speak’?
Dallas Willard wrote in his book ‘Hearing God’ that “many Christians don’t ‘hear’ God yet look at all the Hymns and songs that speak of this… not hearing God is a paradox.” He’s got a point don’t you think?
Consider these few biblical examples among many:
- 1 Samuel 3:4 ‘Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.”
- Acts 10:19-20 ‘While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three men are looking for you. So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”
- Acts 16:7 ‘When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.’
- Acts 18:9 ‘One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision…’
So next week I am going to write on this very topic, based on the truths contained in Psalm 25.
May I invite you to read this Psalm, and as you do consider the questions posed above.
We at Truth is The Word hope that 2017 has started well for you, but if it hasn’t that you will be very conscious of the Spirit of Jesus being with you (Philippians 1:19).